Wednesday, July 28, 2010

More thought on Wikileaks

On June 12th, I discussed the larval stages of the military leaks recently published for public consumption.

I ended my post with the claim that I would support a hypothetical assassination scenario to stop such a leak from occurring. I said that it would be more important to protect the lives of American soldiers than to support transparency, and I still think that.

However: the results of the leak has intensified anti-war sentiment amongst the legislative branch of the U.S. Government. This is a great thing, as that is the first step to ending a political war.

Still, it would have been better to send a copy of the reports to the government a few weeks before publication to allow the time for the necessary changes, if any, in military assets to go into effect. Thus we would have had transparency, and we would have safe soldiers. Everyone wins.

I would still support a criminal trial based on evidence that these leaks caused deaths to U.S. Servicemen and Women. However, if such terrible events do not occur (Please God), then the leaks are a clear victory for the anti-war movement that has been much too slow in building momentum in our ignorant, apathetic, and complacent society.




No comments:

Post a Comment